Monday, December 12, 2011

Goldilocks and the Three Bears

Shhh...the bears are hibernating in Kindergarten! Each year for our Hibernation Unit myself and the other Kindergarten teacher in my building decorate our doors like bear caves. We put large eyes for the bear and small eyes for the critters. After we start getting snow, we spray fake snow around the caves! The kids love it. I posted a poem on my door called Big Old Bear. It talks about hibernation.

This week we read many versions of Goldilocks and the Three Bears. It was interesting hearing my kinders reason and make connections. My class decided that Goldilocks was a very rude little girl. When I asked them why they thought she might be rude. I got back some surprising answers, some of the kinders felt Goldilocks did not have anyone to take care of her and teach her manners. At the end of the story, I asked my students what they thought happened to Goldilocks some thought she went home and the bears went to talk to her parents. Some thought that the Bears found Goldilocks and took her in to live with them. I thought it interesting that the students who suggested the Bears take Goldilocks into their family were the same students who live with other families. Great connections were made! Below are just two versions of the story we read. I think we read four different versions all together.



We learned a cute poem called Three Brown Bears to the tune of Three Blind Mice.


 We also read class books made from the previous years.

We read our Teddybear Teddybear Emergent Readers. We brought bears to school and then drew and described our bears. We practiced reading our color words with a color word emergent reader called Brown Bear Brown Bear. After reading the book we highlighted the sight words in the reader.

We made puppets so that we could retell the story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears.


We sorted and graphed gummy bears and then ate the gummy bears YUMMY! We discovered what porridge is and taste tested porridge with a delicious choice of toppings. We answered the question "Do you like porridge?" and will be analyzing our data on Monday and compiling a graph.


We had an exciting week continuing our unit on Bears and Hibernation. Next week we will be reading Little Panda and learning more about Panda Bears.

2 comments:

  1. My favorite variation of the three bears is Somebody and the Three Blairs (a baby bear wanders into an apartment for a hilarious visit). Kindergarteners love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of that version. It is now in my Amazon wish list! Thank you for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete