Wednesday, January 12, 2011

If You Could Go to Antarctica


This week we have been working on the book "If You Could Go to Antarctica"


The kids love to sing this song and identify our vocabulary words and sight words.

Today we made some lists of items for a writing assignment. The assignment was If I were in Antarctica I would...
Then there were boxes with categories the first box said "wear", the second box said "build a" and the third box said "live in a."
Students were encouraged to use resources around the room to help them complete the assignment. Students could use the word bank or the chart we had made. I also encouraged students to sound out words and spell them. I have a wide range of abilities in my classroom, so I provide different resources to help those that need more help. This particular child chose to write sentences because she is at that level.

This student chose a combination of using the chart we made as a class and the word bank. I was pleased that the students were engaged and taking their time to do their best work! I always enjoy when we find an activity that engages the wide range of learners I have in my classroom. I am very proud of the work they did today!

Believe it or not this is one of my ELL students from Burma who did not speak any English the first day of school! He has come a long way! He is a hard worker and wants to learn. He decided he wanted more than one item in the boxes. I love that he wanted to do more than what was required. It says a lot about his character!

When students finished writing and drawing they were to color their work neatly!

Another example of what a child chose to do. This activity gave children many options and choices that they could make. It was a great way to for me to assess the different abilities while I walked around the room chatting with students about their work.


6 comments:

  1. Like all of your nice Antarctica work! I have signed to follow your blog and hope that you will pop by mine to check it out and to link up for Reggio Emilia Wednesday, as you Antarctica projects are so nice:)
    Have a good week,
    Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post!!!!! :) Seems like the kiddos loved it!

    http://teachinghappilyeverafter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a neat writing activity!! I will be reading this book in a couple of weeks. Could you please send me a copy of the writing activity?
    Thanks for sharing!

    denise_kdh@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your "If I Lived in Antarctica" writing worksheet! I am a student teacher fixing to work on this story and would love a copy if you don't mind to send it to me! cdgoins42@students.tntech.edu
    Thanks so Much

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,
    This is a great activity! Do you happen to know the guided reading level for this book? I would love a copy of the four square also.
    Thank you
    mflores@thehopeinstitute.us

    ReplyDelete